Talking to the Liverpool Echo, Sharon said: “We noticed a little rash on his ankle, nothing major or really scary it was little dots and bruising but we didn’t know what it was at the time.
“We took him to the GP and on the same day they sent us straight to hospital. We described that he had been a bit more tired recently and a little bit off his food but nothing exceptional.”
On arrival at the hospital in Ormskirk, West Lancashire, Max underwent multiple blood tests. The concerned parents were warned by one doctor that leukaemia was a possibility, but remaining hopeful they never thought it would be more serious than an infection.
Sharon, who is also mother to Jamie, 12, continued to say: “It was a shock really. As a mum, when a child gets symptoms you Google it, I’m sure everyone else does that. [Leukaemia] did come up when I googled it but I didn’t think at the time that was it.”