Business News

Today’s rugby news as injured Wales trio missing ahead of South Africa tour and Jones accused of ‘disrespecting’ England

Your rugby morning headlines for Friday, May 20.

Injured Wales trio miss final game before South Africa tour

The Dragons will be without Wales squad forwards Will Rowlands, Leon Brown and Ben Carter for Saturday’s final game of the season at home to the Lions. All three are currently sidelined through injury, but working to prove their fitness in time for the summer tour of South Africa.

On second rows Rowlands and Carter, Dragons director of rugby Dean Ryan said: “Losing Will and Ben has been a tough challenge. They are not available for this weekend. I am sure Wayne (Pivac) is fully aware of where they are and I would imagine both will go in for the first camp.”

Read more:Wayne Pivac tells Jac Morgan he needs to get bigger and stronger as he drops him from Wales squad

As for tighthead prop Brown, he said: “Is he available this week? No. But he is in every day working hard to be available for the summer. After this week, it will be a combination of our medical team and Wales’ to see if they can achieve that.”

With Rowlands and Carter crocked and Joe Peard having been red carded against Cardiff last week, the Dragons are short on specialist locks, so back rower Huw Taylor is likely to cover that position against the Lions, with Joe Maksymiw and Max Williams also in the mix.

Peel backs uncapped talent for World Cup

Scarlets boss Dwayne Peel insists Ryan Conbeer’s chances of making Wales’ squad for next year’s Rugby World Cup are not over.

Conbeer has been in scintillating for recently, scoring a hat-trick against the Ospreys at the Swansea.com Stadium. It was form that thrust him straight into the conversation for a Wales call-up this summer but he ultimately missed out.

Peel said: “I think Ryan Conbeer is a player of high quality. He worked really hard last summer. He looks fit and lean and has dropped some weight this year.

“He looks sharp and his repeatability is better. He’s one who would be knocking on the door for sure. I understand the selection, but he’ll disappointed as he thinks he’s played well this year and so do I.

“But another pre-season and a lot of hard work, who knows next year? I don’t think his chances for the World Cup are over. He could force his way in if he repeats what he’s done this year. This time last year, he wasn’t in the conversation. Now he is. Obviously he’s done something right.”

Another Scarlet to miss out was vastly-experienced centre Jonathan Davies. Pivac has opted to go with George North, Owen Watkin, Nick Tompkins and Johnny Williams in the midfield this time around but insists Davies’ Test hopes are not in the dirt.

On the centre’s omission, Peel added: “Obviously, it’s disappointing for Jon. Since the Six Nations, he’s played very well for us. He’s a player who has led here as captain and has been excellent. I’m a big fan of his and he can contribute.

“He’s very professional in how he goes about his business. He’ll be striving to make that next squad. I’m very disappointed for him.”

Eddie Jones accused of ‘disrespecting’ England role

Former England winger Austin Healey has accused Eddie Jones of ‘disrespecting’ the position he holds by retaining consultancy roles in Japan on the side and discussing his next move.

It was recently revealed that Jones has held discussions with French super club Racing 92 as he prepares to leave his post after the next World Cup. These sorts of things have riled Healey, given England’s recent performances.

Writing in his column for the Telegraph, Healey said: “As an Englishman, hearing Eddie Jones talk about the Rugby Football Union’s review into England winning two out of five Six Nations games, saying the review was great and it allowed me to look deep into myself before then hearing him talk about his next move after the World Cup and a conversation with Racing 92, you just feel a bit like he is taking the post for granted and disrespecting it.

“That might be a strong statement but it does feel that way – he needs to remember that being the head guy is a privilege.

“I can spot arrogance quite a long way away, because I have been relatively skilled at it myself, and Jones just appears to be a bit too arrogant with it all. Why would you have a review, say the review was good, but then feel you did not need to make major changes.

“He was right when he said he has received “fantastic support” from the RFU, but equally I am not sure that he has delivered on that support. He needs to admit that more in order to get people back onside, so they don’t just think he is an arrogant overseas coach there for the cash. And let’s be honest, if he was English maybe we would give him more leeway.”

England wing leaves Bath after a decade

England international winger Semesa Rokoduguni will leave Bath at the end of the current season, ending a 10-year stay at the Rec.

The 34-year-old has scored more than 70 tries in 190-plus games for Premiership club since his debut in 2012. In that time, he’s also worked his club and country commitments around his role as a British Army Lance Corporal.

“I feel extremely proud and honoured to have represented Bath for the past 10 years,” he said.

“I’m also grateful to the British Army for their support and the opportunity to fulfil my dream of playing professional rugby in the Premiership,” added Rokoduguni, who won four England caps.

“I have experienced and learned so much throughout my career here, and I’ve been fortunate to work with so many amazing coaches, players and people.”




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button