An insurance expert has conducted research into the most common ways people lose home and car protection.
The findings prompted Praksha Patel-Shah from the price comparison website to urge drivers and homeowners to double-check their policies.
The insurance expert said: “If you haven’t read your policies for a while, re-read them to familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions to ensure that you’ve got the right cover for your needs.”
The research shown how more than a quarter (27%) of people said they had left windows open while they were out but were unaware it could lead to having a home insurance claim turned down.
Posting a selfie on social media while on holiday, which 16% of people surveyed said they done without being aware it could invalidate their cover, could also alert burglars to a home being empty.
Many people have carried out home renovations such as extensions during the Coronavirus lockdowns – but 16% said they had not declared renovations to their insurer and did not realise they needed to.
People were also unaware that having a friend to stay for a long period could also potentially have an impact on their policy.
Looking at car insurance, 16% of drivers were not aware that changing jobs or job titles without informing their insurer could potentially void their policy and so had kept quiet about it,
MoneySuperMarket’s research revealed the top 5 mistakes people make to lose their car and home insurance protection.
The percentages highlight how many of the 2,000 people surveyed were not aware this would void their policy.
The Liverpool Echo sends newsletters on a wide range of topics – including our daily news bulletin, now going out three times a day.
There are others on what’s on, politics, court news, Knowsley, Wirral, and arts & culture, as well as both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.
Signing up is free and it only takes a minute for you to get the biggest stories, sent straight to your inbox.
How to sign up for an Echo Email Update
2) Put your email in the box where indicated
3) Tick as many boxes as you like, for each newsletter you want.
4) Press Save changes and that’s it!
Top 5 ways people have unknowingly voided car insurance
– Changed jobs/job title but not informed your provider, 16%
– Driven with a pet on the seat unrestrained, 15%
– Had an accident that damaged your car but did not inform the insurer, 11%
– Failed to update your main address, 7%
– Provided your insurer with incorrect information about the overnight location for your car, 7%
Top 5 ways people have unknowingly voided home insurance
– Left a window open when leaving the house/flat, 27%
– Posted a picture on social media while on holiday, 16%
– Renovated your house/flat without notifying the insurer, 16%
– Left a door unlocked when leaving a house, 12%
– Had a friend to stay for over a month, 10%
Want to find out the latest news in your area? Enter your postcode on our In Your Area page here